CEO Baramulla




October 29, 2020

Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan


Adult Education Scheme has been launched in 1978 throughout India to promote and strengthen the adult Education by extending educational options to those adults who have lost their opportunity of access to formal education and had crossed the standard age of receiving education. In 1988 the NATIONAL LITERACY MISSION (NLM) was launched to impart functional literacy to non literates in the age group of 15-35 years in a time bound maner.

In 2009 Government of India launched SAKSHAR BHARAT a centrally sponsored scheme of Department of Education and Literacy (DSEL) MHRD to promote and strengthen adult education especially of women and come into operation from 01.10.2009 and to promote literacy to all those adults who are in the age group of 15 and above present status. In February 2011 district administration conduct a meeting under the chairmanship of worthy Distt.Dev.Commissioner (Chairman ZLSS) Budgam in his office chamber on 22.02.2011. For the implementation of Shakshar Bharat in the district. Some important decisions were taken in the meeting as

  • To conduct survey of illiterates and neo Literates.
  • Advertisement for engagement of Block Coordinators and preraks.
  • Selection of Head Quarter Co-ordinators.
  • Assessment and examination of Neo-literates.
  • Constitution of committees at DZP, BP, GP levels etc.

This scheme was launched in March, 2009 with the objective to enhance access to secondary education and to improve its quality. The implementation of the scheme started from 2009-10. It is envisaged to achieve an enrolment rate of 75% from 52.26% in 2005-06 at secondary stage within 5 years of implementation of the scheme by providing a secondary school within a reasonable distance of any habitation. The other objectives include improving quality of education imparted at secondary level through making all secondary schools conform to prescribed norms, removing gender, socio-economic and disability barriers, providing universal access to secondary level education by 2017, i.e., by the end of 12th Five Year Plan and achieving universal retention by 2020.

Important physical facilities provided under the scheme are:

  • Additional class rooms.
  • Laboratories.
  • Libraries.
  • Art and crafts room.
  • Toilet blocks.
  • Drinking water provisions.
  • Residential Hostels for Teachers in remote areas.

Important quality interventions provided under the scheme are:

  • appointment of additional teachers to reduce PTR to 30:1.
  • focus on Science,Math and English education.
  • In-service training of teachers.
  • science laboratories.
  • ICT enabled education.
  • curriculum reforms.
  • teaching learning reforms.

Important equity interventions provided in the scheme are:

  • special focus in micro planning.
  • preference to Ashram schools for upgradation.
  • preference to areas with concentration of SC/ST/Minority for opening of schools.
  • special enrolment drive for the weaker section.
  • more female teachers in schools.
  • separate toilet blocks for girls.

Implementation mechanism of the Scheme

The scheme is being implemented by the State government societies established for implementation of the scheme. The central share is released to the implementing agency directly. The applicable State share is also released to the implementing agency by the respective State Governments.

Financial and Physical Progress Under the Scheme

During the 11th Five Year Plan, the Central Government bore 75% of the project expenditure during the 11th Plan, with the remaining 25% being borne by State Governments. However, funding pattern was 90:10 for North Eastern States.

Salient Features of RMSA Scheme as:

  • Construction of School Buildings.
  • Construction of Additional class rooms.
  • Strengthening of Laboratories.
  • Strengthening of Libraries.
  • Construction of Toilet blocks.
  • Provisions for Drinking water facilities.
  • Residential Hostels for Teachers in remote areas.
  • Appointment of Post Graduate Teachers.
  • Focus on Subject Specific Teachers.
  • On site training of teachers.
  • ICT enabled education.
  • Teaching learning reforms.
  • Establishment of Girls Hostels in Educationally Backward Blocks.
  • Establishment of Model Schools in Educationally Backward Blocks.
  • Upgradation of Middle Schools to High Schools within the radius of 5 KMs.
  • Upgradation of High Schools to Higher Secondary Schools within the radius of 7-10 KMs.
  • Incentives for SC/ST Girls reading at Secondary Level.
  • Special focus in micro planning.
  • Special enrolment drive for the weaker section.

Leave a Reply

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *